I know the feeling.....
After seeing to the kids, family and your career, there is absolutely no time to exercise or diet for weight loss.
Any exercise routine on average will take at least one to two hours when you include getting ready and travelling time and I certainly don't know any working mom or dad that has two hours of free time everyday.
This lack of free time is one of the major causes of weight gain as you get older. The other reasons are the effects of aging on your metabolism and hormones.
Addressing these actual causes of weight gain as you get older yields better results for weight loss compared to the exercise harder, eat less methods that worked in your twenties.
No Exercise Weight Loss Diet
You can lose up to 10% of your weight using these four simple steps.
Step #1 - No Diets, Eat More of the Right Foods at the Right Time
- Never restrict or starve yourself, it slows down your metabolism, it’s unsustainable and you are more likely to end up binging on the wrong foods. Eat as much as you want of the right foods as discussed below.
- Make protein the largest component of your meals and add a choice of vegetable that is high in fibre, choose from the ten below and eat as much as you want. Not all carbs are bad, some can even help with weight loss. You should eat your carbohydrates only at breakfast and lunch.
- Successful dieters eat at the exact same time every day and they don’t eat for at least two hours before they sleep. I literally lost 20 pounds by following just this one rule. The more precise you are with your timing the better the results.
Plan one cheat day a week where you can eat whatever you want. This actually prevents the down regulation of hormones which prevents your metabolism from slowing down and it also makes the rest of the week easier to get through.
Eat as much as you want of these foods within the rules above:
Protein: eggs, chicken, beef, fish, pork, soy beans
Vegetables: spinach, asparagus, beans, lentils, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, peas
Carbohydrates: 100 % wholegrain wheat bread, oats, brown and wild rice, quinoa. Avoid all white bread products.
Step #2 - No Sweat Drenched Exercises
Exercise Less (Optional)
This may surprise you...
Sweat drenched exercise routines are not needed for weight loss. Exercise can be used as an additional tool to help speed up weight loss but it is not needed for long term successful weight management.
Smart science shows us that small amounts of body weight resistance training can reverse the slowing effect of ageing on our metabolisms. Resistance training increases our metabolisms long after we stop exercising which results in greater weight loss.
Doing 3-4 sets of squats or push ups at home will take less than 10 minutes and have massive effects on your metabolism and hormone levels.
This short exercise regimen which should not take more than ten minutes is enough to build a little extra muscle that instantly boosts your metabolism and helps you lose weight compared.
Step #3 - Boost your Metabolism with these Easy Tips
- Drink 8 glasses of cold water a day, it can burn the same amount of calories as a 3 mile run at average speed.
- Eat as much protein as possible to increase your metabolism. The easiest way is to add in a protein shake after every meal.
- Sleep more, sleeping 7 to 8 hours a day boosts your metabolism and dramatically reduces cravings and hunger.
- Sit Less, increasing the amount of time you stand in a day can burn an unbelievable number of calories. Just stand as much as possible and watch the weight disappear.
- for detailed explanations and more ways to increase your metabolism check out our free guide here.
Step #4 - End Cravings and Hunger
- Cravings and hunger are the main reasons for our diet failures. Most of it is psychological and just bad habits developed over the years. The good news is that they can be unlearned and we can train our minds to resist cravings.
- Figure out what cues, people, places or situations trigger you to make poor food choices or eat emotionally. Avoid all of them or schedule them for your next cheat day.
- Never allow yourself to get hungry, it’s the easiest way to prevent cravings and eating the wrong foods. Pre-plan and pre-think all your meals to prevent any on the spot food decisions.
- Use deconditioning strategies to end those unbreakable cravings for good. You can find deconditioning strategies and detailed explanations here.
For more science backed strategies to lose weight and look younger please visit our blog.